Apple Cider Vinegar for Skin: Burns, Dark Spots, Acne & more
Apple vinegar, also known as cider vinegar, is a natural product that has numerous benefits for the skin. In its purest form, it is made from cider or apple that has been fermented for at least six months.
During the 18th century, the use of vinegar prepared from flowers, fruits or spices to clean and beautify the skin became popular, and today apple vinegar is still one of the best known. Apple vinegar has antibacterial, anti-fungal and disinfectant properties thanks to its malic and acetic acid. It also contains alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) which helps to remove dead skin cells. In addition, its use reduces spots and can even reduce cellulite.
Check out: Anti-Dark Spots Products on Amazon
Skin Benefits of Apple Vinegar
- Eliminates acne and pimples: Its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties help treat acne, balance the skin’s pH and reduce inflammation and infection. It also absorbs excess oil, preventing pimples from reappearing.
- Lightens age spots: Apple vinegar fights the signs of aging such as age spots and marks caused by sun exposure. The sulphur content helps to lighten the age spots.
- Acts as a facial tonic: It balances the skin, regulates pH levels, evens out tone and tightens pores. It also restores glowness to the skin.
- Relieves burns: When applied to sunburns, you will notice a rapid relief. Its anti-inflammatory properties manage to calm the pain and prevent the appearance of blisters.
- Eliminates ingrown hair: By rubbing the vinegar over the area, the action of the acetic acid on the hair will soften it and allow easy extraction.
- Helps to eliminate bruises: Vinegar improves blood circulation in the area of a bruise thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, thus accelerating the healing process. To do this, soak the vinegar in the cotton and apply it to for an hour.
- Treat mosquito bites: The acid in the vinegar is useful to soothe the stinging of these bites. Its anti-inflammatory properties will reduce swelling and speed up healing.
- Helps reduce cellulite: Including a little apple vinegar in the anti-cellulite cream will enhance its effect.
- Prevents Dandruff: In addition, if the vinegar is applied to the hair it prevents dandruff. To do this, you should massage with your fingertips on the scalp before showering, thus removing the remains of accumulated dead skin. It can also be added to the usual shampoo during the bath. Applied to the hair it also serves to enhance its natural tones.
How to use apple vinegar
As vinegar is strong, it must be diluted with water, as it can damage the skin if applied as is. The proportion is usually one part vinegar to three parts water. Green tea, witch hazel essential oil or aloe vera can also be added to the mixture to maximize the benefits of these plants.
- If you choose the organic type of vinegar, it will not need to be diluted and you can use it directly.
- Prevention should be greater when applying it to the face and therefore it is advisable to try it first on a small area of the face (not near the eyes) or in the hand to see if the skin reacts well.
- Once it has been checked that there is no reaction you can start using it. The concentration of vinegar in the mixture with the water can be increased if the skin gets used to it and increases its tolerance.
- The first time you apply it to your face you should rinse it off with warm water after 5 minutes.
- The next time it can be left unrinsed or the application time can be increased. To apply it easily, wet a disc or cotton ball. It is advisable to carry out the treatment at night because, if it comes into contact with the sun’s rays, it can stain the skin or cause sensitivity in the skin.