Home Remedies for Cough: Ginger, Lemon, Honey, Liquorice, Eucalyptus
Are you tired of continuous discomfort in throat, then it’s time to try these home remedies for cough. Forget about feeling bad right now and enjoy good health with the cures offered in this article.
Due to environmental and seasonal changes, bacteria and viruses bring common and unbearable ailments. Amongst them the most common is cough that may be accompanied by phlegm, burning in the throat, and so on. To treat this, there is nothing better than remedies that can be simply prepared at home using items in your kitchen.
In this article you will read:
1. What is cough and how to treat it?
2. Best natural remedies for cough
3. Recommendations when using home remedies for cough
4. Things you can do to treat cough
What is cough and how to treat it?
To understand how to cure a cough, you must first know a little about this particular symptom. Coughing is nothing more than a slight irritation of the nerve endings in the respiratory tract.
Such irritation may be due to viruses or bacteria in the air, pollen, or even environmental dust. We can also say that coughing is a reflex of the body to rid itself of the harmful substances within the body.
There are several types of coughs that vary, mostly, because of the infection you have previously had. There are extreme cases where there is a chronic cough that can become a serious illness on its own. However, common cough is the one that most affects individuals.
The best way to treat common cough, whether dry or phlegmy, is to use home remedies. But what are those homemade cough remedies that are often tried by people?
Best Natural Remedies for Cough
Coughing is such a common condition that you do not need to see a doctor or specialist to treat it. Just try one of these remedies! Homemade cures for cough are as follows:
Olive oil, garlic and thyme:
Perfect, if the cause of the cough is a malicious virus. You just need to:
- A small cup of olive oil. Approximately 220 grams
- Two small branches of thyme
- 10 cloves of garlic
To prepare it, simply grind and peel the garlic cloves and mix them with olive oil. Then, mash the thyme branches into small pieces and mix it with oil and garlic mixture, let it stand for a whole day and take a spoonful of this mixture every morning, preferably on an empty stomach. This cough remedy is perfect for unclogging the bronchi (passage that carry air to and from the lungs).
Ginger & Honey Tea
It is capable of relieving sore throat and reduces cough dramatically. To prepare the mixture, all you need is:
- Spoonful of bee honey
- Whole ginger
- A cup of water
Boil water and add some ginger. Let it boil for ten minutes and then remove pieces of ginger. Serve in a cup and add a tablespoon of honey. Have one every night before you go to sleep and say goodbye to the cough in a couple of days!
Mixture of Honey and Milk
A perfect antibiotic to combat coughs and other respiratory problems. The necessary ingredients, in their respective proportions are:
- Half a glass of milk. Approximately 100 ml.
- Two tablespoons of honey. Approximately 15 grams.
Boil the milk enough so that you can mix it with honey and leave a homogeneous mixture. Take it three times a day and in less than a few days the cough will be gone.
This is the best cough remedy. You need:
- A fist of liquorice root
- A cup of water
- About 5 grams of honey
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
Boil the cup of water and add the lemon and the handful of Licorice. When the water begins to change the color, add honey and mix for 2 more minutes. Keep the mixture and have it in the morning and evening. You’ll be amazed at the positive results!
Perfect fighter against any infection, especially in the respiratory tract. If you want to make an excellent cough syrup you need:
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- Juice made using 3 lemons
Heat the lemon juice and add honey until it becomes a homogeneous mixture. Grab a spoonful of this and take it before going to bed. You will get immediate relief from cough!
Black Pepper Tea
Perfect for coughing up phlegm and any other moist cough you may have. You will need following ingredients:
- A small spoonful of fresh pepper
- Two tablespoons of honey
- A cup of boiled water
All you have to do is mix all the ingredients mentioned above and wait until you get a perfect, homogeneous mixture. Keep it for about 20 minutes and then drain all the liquid. Have this mixture at night after dinner. What better way to eradicate cough than this?
Lemon and Steamed Eucalyptus
This is the least conventional remedy on the list, but perhaps the most efficient. All you need is:
- Half a liter of water
- Handful of Eucalyptus leaves
Squeeze the lemon to extract all its juice. Then, mix it with half a liter of water and boil. Next, add eucalyptus leaves and wait till boil. Once this is done, start inhaling the steam by placing a cloth on your head.
Try the above mentioned natural remedies for cough and you’ll see that it will disappear soon.
Tips when using home remedies for cough
Even if the cough is treatable and can be easily cleared, there are few things to keep in mind. Amongst them, the following recommendations stand out that will make home remedies more comfortable and bearable.
- Stop taking these home remedies if no improvement is seen within a few weeks.
- If the cough is very bad, it is best to see your doctor to find the root cause.
- Try to drink plenty of fluids, especially water. This is to better flush infection and mucus out of the body.
- Don’t try several home cough remedies at the same time. It can be harmful to your body.
- Increase your fruit intake throughout the day. In this way, you will help the lungs to function more effectively.
- You can choose to use so-called cough drops or menthol drops. They numb the back of the throat and reduce the presence of mucus in the body.
- Try to expel all the mucus you have in your body, if it is a cough with phlegm. This can be done using above-mentioned natural remedies.
- Look for foods or medicines that include propolis as a component. This has proven to be an excellent fighter against cough of all kinds.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking. These bring with them many infections that are harmful to health.
Things you can do to treat cough
Home cough remedies have proven their effectiveness with extremely encouraging results.
However, if you have complications with coughing. You can also try following solutions to treat your cough:
Eat following foods moderately:
- Flax Seeds
- Apple vinegar
In addition, to the above mentioned food items:
- Take couple of baths in hot water, to get positive advantage of the water vapors.
- Exercise and keep breathing fresh air, at least once in a while. This way, the airways can quickly clear the infection.
Be cautious and use these tips in complete moderation. And remember that, the only person responsible for your health is you and no one else. So take care of yourself as much as you can!